FORUM HOME

Wig

Big J :
When I picked up more poly fil stuffing for my latest girl Colombina, I found something new in the craft aisle. Velvet yarn. It is a thick single strand not twisted fibers like regular knitting yarn. I hate regular hair wigs and was looking for something to make a better wig for a plush doll and I think I found the perfect material. I cut the hair off of a tangled wig I had and used the wig cap and pulled the yarn through the mesh holes. It was long and tedious work but now I have a silky soft wig for my Valentina girls. I went a bit overboard and made the wig about 3 ft long. I used up 3 spools each were 200 yds, so it's a lot of hair. This was a white cream color, I'm going to go to a fabric store to see if I can get some better colors. The wig did get a bit tangled before I got smart and put some scrunchies on it. You can comb it with your fingers and I think I will get it untangled eventually and braid it.

28 days ago

Pablo :
That looks excellent Big J😊
28 days ago

broznan :
oh that wig looks incredible with the doll! I know you used quite a bit of yarn but it paid off in how full the hair looks.

(also do you have a thread for Colombina? I would love to see more!)
27 days ago

Big J :
I tried braiding it but I think I need to pull it tighter to make them look better.

This hair is wonderful for sleeping with the doll. Some of the hair was draped over my neck and face and kept me warm. There's no scratchy feel, getting it in your eyes/mouth, or loose hairs in bed afterward like with regular wigs.

I bought a few more rolls of different color and thicknesses to try out so I will be making some more and posting in the coming days. The brand is called Bernat if you want to look it up. Realistic hair colors are kind of limited but if you want pink, purple, etc. there are a lot of colors to choose from as well as different thicknesses.

27 days ago

Sgt.Pepper :
AWESOME!
27 days ago

Omega :
I think she looks great with the white hair. Nicely exotic.
26 days ago

Big J :
I finished my second wig and used the thicker, silky yarn. I got some elastic tube wig caps and secured it with safety pins to the loops on the head and sewed up the other end in the center. It was harder to get it on the head but much easier to pull the yarn through. These are working very well. I hated the regular wigs and left them off most of the time and had the girls bald, but now I love them, even having hair in my face.

26 days ago

in love with valentina :
go to etsy, and patch wig
26 days ago

Pablo :
I think this latest one looks great. Is there a place you can buy one? I suck at crafts 😊
25 days ago

Omega :
Check out Etsy, Pablo. I did a search for ''yarn wigs'' and got a lot of entries.
24 days ago

Loverboy :
The wig looks great Big J. Mine was made by cutting strips from a soft fleece throw and machine sewing them on to a wig cap and then attached with safety pins to her head. With lots of help from my friends!

22 days ago

Robert at Valentinagirls :
I just put up a new type of hair in the options inspired by Loverboy's hair. Thanks Loverboy :)
We're also working on a Big J type of hair. Thanks in advance Big J :)
17 days ago

in love with valentina :
no hair in armpit? unsexy?
16 days ago

Big J :
The new hair looks great! Is the hair hollow or does it have some stuffing?
16 days ago

Robert at Valentinagirls :
It's not stuffed in the pictures, but you can order it stuffed at no extra charge if you want. We tried it and it came out looking like a jester's hat :D, Armpit hair? Sure why not. Just order a couple of bushes and let us know you want them in the armpits.
16 days ago

Omega :
Gonna try making a yarn wig for Didi. Picked up 3 skeins of reddish velvet yarn, and a wig stand last night. Got a package of mesh wig caps from Amazon as well, so I’ll use those as a base. We’ll see how it turns out.

I did see that velvet yarn comes in three different sizes, and the largest looks about the same size as in Loverboy’s picture above. And searching for diy yarn wigs on google gave lots of links and ideas!

The adventure continues...
11 days ago

Big J :
Omega, a few tips from my experience.

I put the wigs together with the caps on the VG head. I put safety pins through the edges of the cap and through the loops used to tie the string through regular wigs.

I melted the ends with a lighter to prevent little bits from falling off the ends.

To get the yarn through the wig cap, the easiest way was to go through the holes in the wig cap first with a tweezers and then grab the yarn and pull it through.

I cut them all the same length but you could try shorter in front or something else. I would cut them 2x the length of hair I wanted and pull one end through so it's the right length and tie both in a knot so it doesn't get pulled out.
11 days ago

Omega :
Pretty much what I had in mind. I got som crochet hooks to pull the center of each strand through the mesh. Good idea of building the wig while the wig cap is on her head. Only problem with that is that she’s a cuddle model and her head flops aroun a lot. Stay tuned for updates.
11 days ago

Loverboy :
Rosie's wig was made from a fleece throw. My friends and I cut a wig cap out from the fleece material and then cut different lengths of fleece for the hair.

My mates have a sewing machine and sewed the strands of hair on to the wig cap. I think that was the basics of it. Originally there were going to be less strands of hair, but we went a little mad as we had plenty of fleece material. Cost was around £12
10 days ago

Omega :
I saw your earlier post about cutting up the throw, Loverboy. What I meant was that the largest velvet yarn looks to be about the same diameter as Rosie’s dreads from that throw. Thus, if someone wanted to duplicate the look, they could probably use the largest size of Velvet Yarn.

Regardless, between what Robert’s team can accomplish and the creativity at our end, the Venusina girls just keep getting sexier and sexier!
10 days ago

Loverboy :
No worries, I just thought I'd repost for anyone who didn't see the original, as this is a post about wigs
7 days ago

Big J :
new wig pictures

4 days ago

Pablo :
Looks great my friend 😊 What kind of yarn did you use for this one?
3 days ago

POST REPLY:
Name:

No links to competitors please :)
Attach picture (your own pictures only please for legal reasons)

Copyright Stratus-Pikpuk, Inc.